In 1265 the Livonian Order built a powerful tower in Paide, named Tall Hermann, later Vallitorn. During wars the tower was repeatedly damaged. In 1941 it was blown up by the retreating Soviet troops. The tower was finally restored to its former glory and opened to the public in 1993 for the 700th anniversary of Paide. The 30 m high tower is the symbol of the town and has been used in Paide's coat of arms since 1441.
The Wittenstein Town Centre located in the Vallitorn opened its doors to visitors two years ago and last year it was declared "The most attractive tourism project of the year." Visitors of the Time Centre get an overview of the history of Estonia by using the elevator from one floor to the next thus learning about different periods from the history of the country. Hence the theme for our art exhibition "As Time Goes By".
With this exhibition we aimed high, all the way up to the 9th floor of Paide Valli tower. Our exhibition was visited by 6400 people and was much appreciated. In the name of all participating artists, we also made a small donation to the Paide Orphanage.
Lasse Alexandersson (SE), Naemi Bure (SE), Bengt Croneby (SE), Kenneth Engblom (SE), Carl-Axel Engstad (SE), Sigfrid Grimma (SE), Ann-Louise Järvklo (SE), Mari Koort (SE), Dieter Kunz (AT), Anita Magnusson (SE), Lara Simonof (UA), Gerald Steffe (AT)